- Prof. Tanya Das, Division of Molecular Medicine, Bose Institute (Chairperson)
- Ms. Shohini Majumder, Registrar, S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences (Member)
- Dr. Srimonti Sarkar, Department of Biochemistry, Bose Institute (Member)
- Ms. Noreen Bhattacharjee, Deputy Registrar (Convener)
Objectives of Women's Cell :
- To sustain the dignity of women.
- To facilitate congenial working environment so that any female employee is not subjected to gender specific discrimination.
- To consider the complaints of grievances from female teaching staff, non-teaching staff and students and investigate the thoroughly within stipulated time.
- To ensure confidentiality and time bound response to the complaints.
- To heighten awareness and sensitivity to this important issue amongst all the female staff and students. For this purpose motivational and developmental activities shall be organized.
Definition of sexual harassment - includes such unwelcome sexually determined behaviour (whether directly or by implication) as:
a) Physical contact and advances;
b) A demand or request for sexual favours;
c) Sexually coloured remarks;
d) Showing pornography;
e) Any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of sexual nature
Definition of harassment -
I. Implied or explicit promise of preferential treatment in her employment; or
II. Implied or explicit threat of detrimental treatment in her employment in her employment; or
III. Implied or explicit threat about her present or future employment status;or
IV. Interferes with her work or creating an intimidating or offensive or hostile work environment for her; or
V. Humiliating treatment likely to affect her health or safety.
The Committee will also ensure that the employer or persons in charge of work place
a) Express prohibition of sexual harassment as defined above at the work place should be notified, published and circulated in appropriate ways.
b) The Service Rule relating to conduct and discipline should include rules/regulations prohibiting sexual harassment and provide for appropriate penalties in such rules against the offender.
c) Appropriate work conditions should be provided in respect of work, leisure, health and hygiene to further ensure that there is no hostile environment towards women at work places and no employee woman should have reasonable grounds to believe that she is disadvantaged in connection with her employment.
The proposed Modalities of functioning of Women’s Cell are as below:
a) The Women’s Cell is expected to function as the “Complaints Committee” for conducting inquiry in case of allegations of sexual harassment.
b) The Women’s Cell should follow the DOPT Circular No. 11013/2/2014-Estt(A-III) dated 16.07.2015 .
c) The Women’s Cell should follow the guideline and norms to prevent and deal with cases of sexual harassment in work place as laid down by the Hon’ble Supreme Court in the case matter of Vishakha & Ors. Vs. State of Rajasthan & Ors. (Jt. 1997(7) SC 384).
d) In addition, the cell should undertake activities like organising Gender Sensitization Programmes, monitor security arrangements and logistics support for female students and employees within the campus, work as the Help-line for recording grievances of female employees and students, specific to them etc.