Bose Institute Indo-FAIR Coordination Centre
Bose Institute Indo-FAIR Coordination Centre (BI-IFCC) is an extramural project at Bose Institute, Kolkata for facilitating the coordination of India’s participation in building the largest upcoming accelerator facility worldwide -- Facility for antiproton and ion research (FAIR) at Darmstadt-Germany. India is a founder member and the third largest contributor of this upcoming International facility with Bose Institute as the shareholding institute of the country. BI-IFCC is the nodal centre in India to facilitate Indian activities in FAIR at GSI, Germany.
FAIR, founded on 4th October 2010, will be fully operational by 2025. It will deliver beams for research in nuclear physics, hadron physics, high energy heavy ion collisions, atomic and plasma physics.
FAIR GmbH is guided by a shareholder's assembly and run by a management team and a number of expert bodies. Several experts from India are members of various committees. The prominent ones are given below:
1. Prof. S. Raha, Bose Institute: Chair, FAIR-GSI joint Scientific Council
(The body responsible for framing all scientific activities of FAIR)
2. Prof. B. Sinha, Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata, Member, FAIR Council
3. Dr. R. K. Bhandari, Ex Director, VECC & Member, In Kind Review Board (IKRB)
& Machine Advisory Committee (MAC)
4. Dr. P. Asthana, DST: Member, Admin and Finance Committee
5. Science consulate (Indian Embassy, Germany): Member AFC
BI-IFCC is guided by an Executive Council with following members.
1. Prof. A. Sharma, Secretary, DST Co-Chair, Ex-officio
2. Dr. S. Basu, Chairman, AEC and Secretary-DST, Co-Chair, Ex-officio
3. Prof. S. Raha ( for Director, Bose Institute )
4. Dr. A. Roy, Director, VECC, Ex-officio
5. Two distinguished scientists:
a. Prof. Bikash Sinha
b. Prof. V. S. Ramamurthy
6. CMD, ECIL-Hyderabad (Industry representative)
7. Bose Institute Council Rep (Dr. P. Asthana)
8. Programme-Director, IFCC, Ex-officio (Dr. Subhasis Chattopadhyay)
India’s participation in FAIR is two-fold:
(a) design, fabrication, installation and commissioning of advanced accelerator
equipment for FAIR and
(b) participation in FAIR experimental programme including development
and fabrication of detector systems for the experiments.
BI-IFCC is involved in following activities:
(a) Coordination with FAIR on accelerator and detectors to be built in India
(b) Coordination with Indian industry and laboratories for delivery of the in-kind equipment
(c) Coordination with Indian scientific community for participation in FAIR experiments
(d) Student development programme for FAIR research
(e) Facilitating the organisation of workshops/schools related to FAIR physics and technology