Professor, Biological Sciences
PhD: Bose Institute and University of Calcutta, 1999
Research Associate, Botany Department, Bose Institute, Kolkata
Post Doctoral Scholar, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, USA.
Post Doctoral Scholar, Division of Molecular Medicine, Anesthesiology Department, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, USA.
Assistant Researcher, Division of Molecular Medicine, Anesthesiology Department, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, USA.
Research interests:Unravelling the active gene-regulatory circuit during pathogen stress in plant
Unified Academic Campus
EN-80, Sector V
Kolkata - 700 091, India
We are investigating the transcriptional and post transcriptional regulatory mechanisms of gene expression cascade activated during biotic stress response in plant. Plants respond to a stress by reprogramming of existing gene expression cascade which provides robustness and specificity to the response. Regulation of initiation of transcription and microRNA (miRNA)-mediated posttranscriptional gene-silencing have crucial roles in this process.
Using tomato plant and various pathogens, and utilizing genomics, molecular biological and plant biotechnological tools our research programmes include Genome-wide analysis of Alternaria stress-responsive microRNAs and their targets Analysis of mechanism of regulation of expression of miRNAs during stress. Studies on molecular signalling associated with disease symptom manifestation. Investigating the signalling cascade leading to the activation of membrane-bound
Using tomato plant and various pathogens, and utilizing genomics, molecular biological and plant biotechnological tools our research programmes include
- Genome-wide analysis of Alternaria stress-responsive microRNAs and their targets
- Analysis of mechanism of regulation of expression of miRNAs during stress.
- Studies on molecular signalling associated with disease symptom manifestation.
- Investigating the signalling cascade leading to the activation of membrane-bound
- NAC transcription factors (NAC MTFs)
Das, R., Mukherjee, A., Basak, S., & Kundu, P. (2021). Plant miRNA responses under temperature stress. Plant Gene, 28, 100317.
Chowdhury, S., Bhattacharjee, P., Basak, S., Chowdhury, S., & Kundu, P. (2019). Method to Study Dynamics of Membrane-Bound Plant Transcription Factors During Biotic Interactions in Tomato. In Plant Innate Immunity (pp. 61-68). Humana, New York, NY.
Jodder, J., Das, R., Sarkar, D., Bhattacharjee, P., & Kundu, P. (2018). Distinct transcriptional and processing regulations control miR167a level in tomato during stress. RNA biology, 15(1), 130-143.
Jodder, J., Basak, S., Das, R., & Kundu, P. (2017). Coherent
regulation of miR167a biogenesis and expression of auxin signaling pathway
genes during bacterial stress in tomato. Physiological and Molecular Plant
Pathology, 100, 97-105.
Sarkar D, Maji RK, Dey S, Sarkar A, Ghosh Z and Kundu P,
Integrated miRNA and mRNA expression profiling reveals the response regulators
of a susceptible tomato cultivar to early blight disease, DNA Research, 2017.
Jana J, Mondal S, Bhattacharjee P, Sengupta P, Roychowdhury T, Saha P, Kundu P, Chatterjee S. Chelerythrine down regulates expression of VEGFA, BCL2 and KRAS by arresting G-Quadruplex structures at their promoter regions. Sci Rep. 2017 Jan 19;7:40706. doi: 10.1038/srep40706. PubMed PMID: 28102286; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5244364.
Bhattacharjee P, Das R, Mandal A, Kundu P. Functional characterization of tomato membrane-bound NAC transcription factors. Plant Mol Biol. 2016 Dec 30.doi: 10.1007/s11103-016-0579-z. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28039561.
Mandal A, Sarkar D, Kundu S, Kundu P. Mechanism of regulation of tomato TRN1 gene expression in late infection with tomato leaf curl New Delhi virus(ToLCNDV). Plant Sci. 2015 Dec;241:221-37. doi:10.1016/j.plantsci.2015.10.008.PubMed PMID: 26706073.
Datta A, Kundu P, Bhunia A. Designing potent antimicrobial peptides by disulphide linked dimerization and N-terminal lipidation to increase antimicrobial activity and membrane perturbation: Structural insights into lipopolysaccharide binding. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2016 Jan 1;461:335-45. doi:10.1016/j.jcis.2015.09.036. PubMed PMID: 26407061.
Datta A, Ghosh A, Airoldi C, Sperandeo P, Mroue KH, Jiménez-Barbero J, Kundu P, Ramamoorthy A, Bhunia A. Antimicrobial Peptides: Insights into Membrane Permeabilization, Lipopolysaccharide Fragmentation and Application in Plant Disease Control. Sci Rep. 2015 Jul 6;5:11951. doi: 10.1038/srep11951. PubMed PMID: 26144972; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4491704.
Kundu P, Li M, Lu R, Stefani E, Toro L. Regulation of transcriptional activation function of rat estrogen receptor α (ERα) by novel C-terminal splice inserts. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015 Feb 5;401:202-12. doi:10.1016/j.mce.2014.11.001. PubMed PMID: 25451981; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4312711.
Morera FJ, Alioua A, Kundu P, Salazar M, Gonzalez C, Martinez AD, Stefani E,Toro L, Latorre R. The first transmembrane domain (TM1) of β2-subunit binds to the transmembrane domain S1 of α-subunit in BK potassium channels. FEBS Lett.2012 Jul 30;586(16):2287-93. doi:10.1016/j.febslet.2012.05.066. PubMed PMID:22710124; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3568673.
Danesh SM*, Kundu P*, Lu R, Stefani E, Toro L. Distinct transcriptional regulation of human large conductance voltage- and calcium-activated K+ channel gene (hSlo1) by activated estrogen receptor alpha and c-Src tyrosine kinase. J Biol Chem. 2011 Sep 9;286(36):31064-71. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M111.235457. PubMed PMID: 21757754; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3173123. * Equal Authorship
Li M, Tanaka Y, Alioua A, Wu Y, Lu R, Kundu P, Sanchez-Pastor E, Marijic J,Stefani E, Toro L. Thromboxane A2 receptor and MaxiK-channel intimate interaction supports channel trans-inhibition independent of G-protein activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Nov 2;107(44):19096-101. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1002685107. PubMed PMID: 20959415; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2973862.
Kundu P, Ciobotaru A, Foroughi S, Toro L, Stefani E, Eghbali M. Hormonal regulation of cardiac KCNE2 gene expression. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2008 Sep 24;292(1-2):50-62. doi: 10.1016/j.mce.2008.06.003. PubMed PMID: 18611433; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2893227.
Lu R, Alioua A, Kumar Y, Kundu P, Eghbali M, Weisstaub NV, Gingrich JA, Stefani E, Toro L. c-Src tyrosine kinase, a critical component for 5-HT2A receptor-mediated contraction in rat aorta. J Physiol. 2008 Aug 15;586(16):3855-69. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2008.153593. PubMed PMID: 18599541;PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2538937.
Alioua A, Lu R, Kumar Y, Eghbali M, Kundu P, Toro L, Stefani E. Slo1 caveolin-binding motif, a mechanism of caveolin-1-Slo1 interaction regulating Slo1 surface expression. J Biol Chem. 2008 Feb 22;283(8):4808-17. PubMed PMID:18079116.
Kundu P, Alioua A, Stefani E, Toro L. Regulation of mouse Slo gene expression: multiple promoters, transcription start sites, and genomic action of estrogen. J Biol Chem. 2007 Sep 14;282(37):27478-92. PubMed PMID: 17635926.
Kundu P, Raychaudhuri S, Tsai W, Dasgupta A. Shutoff of RNA polymerase II transcription by poliovirus involves 3C protease-mediated cleavage of the TATA-binding protein at an alternative site: incomplete shutoff of transcription interferes with efficient viral replication. J Virol. 2005 Aug;79(15):9702-13.PubMed PMID: 16014932; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC1181600.
Jhaveri R, Kundu P, Shapiro AM, Venkatesan A, Dasgupta A. Effect of hepatitis C virus core protein on cellular gene expression: specific inhibition of cyclooxygenase 2. J Infect Dis. 2005 May 1;191(9):1498-506. PubMed PMID:15809909.
Banerjee R, Weidman MK, Echeverri A, Kundu P, Dasgupta A. Regulation of poliovirus 3C protease by the 2C polypeptide. J Virol. 2004 Sep;78(17):9243-56.PubMed PMID: 15308719; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC506913.
Weidman MK, Sharma R, Raychaudhuri S, Kundu P, Tsai W, Dasgupta A. The interaction of cytoplasmic RNA viruses with the nucleus. Virus Res. 2003 Sep;95(1-2):75-85. Review. Erratum in: Virus Res. 2004 Jan;99(1):101. PubMed PMID: 12921997.
Mandal S, Kundu P, Roy B, Mandal RK. Precursor of the inactive 2S seed storage protein from the Indian mustard Brassica juncea is a novel trypsin inhibitor. Charaterization, post-translational processing studies, and transgenic expression to develop insect-resistant plants. J Biol Chem. 2002 Oct 4;277(40):37161-8. PubMed PMID: 12147695.
Kundu P. and Mandal R. K., Transgenic approaches for producing virus resistant plants. 2001, Proceedings of Indian National Science Academy B 67, 53-80.
Dasgupta A., Yalamanchili P., Clark M., Kliewer S., Fradkin L., Rubinstein S., Das S., Shen Y., Weidman K., Banerjee R., Datta U., Igo M., Kundu P., Barat B. and Berk A. J. Effects of Picornavirus proteinases on host cell transcription. 2002, Molecular Biology of Picornaviruses, pp 321-335, eds. B.L.Semler and E. Wimmer, ASM Press, Washington DC
Alioua, A., Kundu, P., Lu, R., Kumar, Y., Ou, J., Stefani, E., and Toro, L. Structure and Function of Ion Channels: Large Conductance Calcium-activated Potassium Channels. In Squire, L. R., editor. 2007, New Encyclopedia of Neuroscience, Elsevier Ltd., Oxford, UK. In press.
Kundu P., A. Alioua., R. Lu, Y. Kumar, J. Ou., E. Stefani, and L. Toro. BK Channels: Regulation of Expression and Physiological Impact, In: Structure, Function and Pharmacology of Neuronal Voltage-Gated Ion Channels. 2009, Eds. V. Gribkoff and G. Kaczmarek. Wiley Publishers.
(i) M.Sc.-Ph.D. students class lectures:
Plant gene, Plant genome, regulation of transcription, gene targeting in plant, Gene tagging/trapping, methods of analysis of gene expression, NGS techniques, plant transformation, ascent of sap, phytohormones, plant immunity, photoperiodism etc.
(ii) M.Sc.-Ph.D. students practical courses:
Plant genomic DNA isolation and RAPD analysis, Southern blotting technique, Plant immune response, Plant cell microscopic analysis.
(iii) Ph.D. course work students class lectures:
Gene silencing, techniques in gene expression analysis, and NGS techniques
(iv) Course coordinator:
Plant Molecular Biology Fundamental course for 1st Semester Integrated MSc-PhD students.
|Ananya Mukherjee||Senior Research Fellow||Division of Plant Biology||Centenaryfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Atreyee Kundu||Visiting Scientist||Division of Plant Biology||Unifiedemail@example.com|
|Riya Bajani||Junior Research Fellow||Division of Plant Biology||Unifiedfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sushmita Talukdar||Senior Research Fellow||Division of Plant Biology||Centenaryemail@example.com|
Ms. Sayani Dey
Mr. Rohit Das
Ms. Shreya Chowdhury
Ms. Shrabani Basak
Mr. Sayan Mal
Mr. Himadri Das
Ms. Ananya Mukherjee
Mr. Raghuvir Singh
Ms. Sushmita Talukdar
Former Postdoctoral Research Scholars
Dr. Supriyo Chowdhury
Dr. Arpita Basu Chowdhury
Former PhD Scholars
Dr. Arunava Mandal
Dr. Deepti Sarkar
Dr. Jayanti Jodder
Dr. Payel Bhattacharjee
- Shrabani Basak and Pallob Kundu, Death and defense-dynamic regulation during stress and functional analyses of tomato metacaspases, 7th International Conference on ‘Phytopathology in Achieving UN Sustainable Development Goals’ organised by the Indian Phytopathological Society, ICAR-IARI, New Delhi, India, 2020 (Awarded the Best Oral Presentation prize in the session ‘Host-Pathogen interaction and plant immunity’).
- Ananya Mukherjee and Pallob Kundu, Optimization of different promoters for spatio-temporal regulation of transgene expression in tomato, 7th International Conference on ‘Phytopathology in Achieving UN Sustainable Development Goals’ organised by the Indian Phytopathological Society, ICAR-IARI, New Delhi, India, 2020 (Awarded the Best Oral Presentation prize in the session ‘Transgenics and related approaches for disease management’).
- Shreya Chowdhury and Pallob Kundu,
miR398: An integrator of biotic and abiotic stress signalling in
tomato, 7th International Conference on
‘Phytopathology in Achieving UN Sustainable Development Goals’ organised
by the Indian Phytopathological Society, ICAR-IARI, New Delhi, India, 2020
(Awarded the Best Oral Presentation prize in the
session ‘Host-Pathogen interaction and plant immunity’).
- Shrabani Basak and Pallob Kundu, ‘Tomato Metacaspases MC1 and MC5 Are Mediators of Cell Death During Development and Disease’, Plant Biology Worldwide Summit 2020, PB20, organized by the American Society for Plant Biology (ASPB) during July 27-31, 2020 (selected for an oral presentation in the ASPB annual meeting 2020).
- Shrabani Basak and Pallob Kundu, ‘Tomato Metacaspases MC1 and MC5 Are Mediators of Cell Death During Development and Disease’, Plant Biology Worldwide Summit 2020, PB20, organized by the American Society for Plant Biology (ASPB) during July 27-31, 2020 (received the ASPB travel grant to Plant Biology, 2020).
- Rohit Das and Pallob Kundu, ‘Mechanistic insights of miR167a regulation during temperature stress in Solanum lycopersicum, Plant Biology Worldwide Summit 2019, organized by the American Society for Plant Biology (ASPB), received the DBT and CCSTDS travel grant to Plant Biology, 2019.
- Shrabani Basak and Pallob Kundu, Regulation of tomato metacaspases during development and stress, ‘The 23rd INPEC Meeting: Protein Structure, Function and Engineering’, Bose Institute, Kolkata, India, 2017 (Awarded the Best Poster prize).
- Payel Bhattacharjee, Rohit Das and Pallob Kundu, Identification and characterization of membrane bound NAC transcription factors in tomato and their regulation during stress, Plant Biology 2016 meeting organised by American Society of Plant Biologists held in Austin, Texas, July 2016, Student Travel Grant from DBT-CTEP, Govt. of India.
- Arunava Mandal, Deepti Sarkar and Pallob Kundu, Mechanism of a virus stress-induced regulation of a leaf developmental gene expression in tomato: significance in disease symptom manifestation. At the symposium on Environmental Impact on Biodiversity and Plant Development, Department of Biological Sciences, Presidency University, Kolkata, February, 2015. (Best Poster Award).
- Jayanti Jodder, Deepti Sarkar, Rohit Das and Pallob Kundu. Understanding the complex regulation of miR167 and its target genes’ expression under patho-physiological changes in tomato. At the symposium on Evolving Plant Biology: From Chromosomes to Genomics, 27th -29th November, 2014, Organized by Bose Institute, Kolkata, University of Kolkata, West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology and The Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture. (Best Poster Award).
- Deepti Sarkar, Jayanti Jodder, Sayani Dey, Ranjan Kumar Maji, Arijita Sarkar, Zhumur Ghosh, Pallob Kundu. Expression and transcriptional regulation of microRNAs during Alternaria stress in tomato. At the Conference on Informatics & Integrative Biology (CIIB-2014), December 17 - 19, 2014 Organized by Bioinformatics Center, Bose Institute, Kolkata. (Best Poster Award).
- Arunava Mandal and Pallob Kundu, Transcriptional regulation of a cell expansion gene upon Tomato Leaf Curl virus infection, American Society for Virology (ASV) 32nd Annual Meeting - July 20-24, 2013 Penn State University, State College, Pennsylvania, Student Travel grant awarded to AM by ASV and DBT, Govt. of India.
Mandal and Pallob Kundu, Transcriptional regulation of a cell expansion
gene upon Tomato Leaf Curl virus infection, 100th Indian Science Congress,
Kolkata, January, 2012. (Best Poster Award in the plant