, Division of Plant Biology
PhD: Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics , 2010
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at Department of Organismic Interactions, Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology
- Functional studies on secreted effector proteins from different phytopathogenic fungi
- defense mechanisms of host plants against pathogen invasion involving apoplastic proteins
Division of Plant Biology
P-1/12 C.I.T. Scheme VII-M
Kolkata - 700054, India
· Survival strategies of corn smut fungus Ustilago maydis during host colonization
Ustilago maydis is a biotrophic fungus that infects Zea mays. During host colonization the fungus is exposed to a number of plant defense responses like for instance elevated levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the vicinity of the invasion site. Depending upon the compatibility of the pathogen and the host strain this ROS stimuli can either initiate a cell death response in the pathogen or could be overcome by the defense responses of the pathogen itself. In this project we are engaged in dissecting these survival and death pathways of Ustilago maydis during a compatible and incompatible interaction with the host plant Zea mays.
· Functional characterization of U. maydis effector proteins
Effector proteins are key factors defining the virulence of a phytopathogenic fungus like Ustilago maydis. In this project we are engaged in investigating the functions of different groups of secreted effector proteins from Ustilago maydis in the context of their role in manipulating host defense responses.
· Functional proteomics of rice apoplastic fluid
This project is aimed to study the apoplastic fluid proteome of rice under conditions of pathogen invasion. Through this study we are investigating on one hand the in-planta secretome of different pathogens infecting rice and on the other hand rice secreted proteins that play crucial roles in defense against pathogen invasion.
1. Bhattacharya C, Banerjee S, Acharya U, Mitra A, MallickI, Halder A, Haldar S, Ghosh A*, Ghosh A*. Evaluation of plant growth promotion and induction of antioxidative defense mechanism by rhizobacteria isolated from tea rhizosphere of Darjeeling, India. (Accepted in Scientific Reports)
2. Mukherjee D, Gupta S, GhoshA, Ghosh A*. Ustilagomaydis secreted T2 ribonucleases, Nuc1 and Nuc2 scavenge extracellular RNA. (Accepted in Cellular Microbiology)
3. Mukherjee D, Mitra A, Ghosh A*. Detection of apoptosis like cell death in Ustilagomaydis by Annexin V-FITC staining. Bioprotocol 2018, Vol 8 (15), doi:10.21769/BioProtoc.2948.
4. Mukherjee D, Gupta S, Saran N, Datta R, Ghosh A*. Induction of apoptosis-like cell death and clearance of stress induced intracellular protein aggregates: dual roles for Ustilagomaydismetacaspase Mca1. Molecular Microbiology 2017, Sep 23, doi: 10.1111/mmi.13848.
5. Ghosh P, Roy A, Hess D, Ghosh A, Das S. Deciphering the Mode of Action of a Modified Allium sativum Leaf Agglutinin (mASAL), a Potent antifungal Protein on Rhizoctoniasolani. BMC Microbiology 2015; Oct 26;15:237.
6. Ghosh A*, Raha S. Molecular and functional characterization of a stress responsive cysteine protease, EhCP6 from Entamoebahistolytica. Protein Expression and Purification 2015 May;109:55-61. doi: 10.1016/j.pep.2015.02.005.
7. Ghosh A*. Small heat shock proteins (HSP12, HSP20 and HSP30) play a role in Ustilagomaydis pathogenesis. FEMS Microbiology Letters 2014 Sep 22; doi: 10.1111/1574-6968.12605
8. Djamei A£, Schipper K£, Rabe F, Ghosh A, Vincon V, Kahnt J, Osorio S, Tohge T, Fernie AR, Feussner I, Feussner K, Meinicke P, Stierhof YD, Schwarz H, Macek B, Mann M, Kahmann R. Metabolic priming by a secreted fungal effector. Nature 2011 Oct 5; 478(7369): 395-8. doi: 10.1038/nature10454.
9. Ghosh AS, Ray D, Dutta S, Raha S. EhMAPK, the mitogen-activated protein kinase from Entamoebahistolytica is associated with cell survival. PLoS One 2010 Oct 8; 5(10): e13291. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0013291.
10. Ghosh AS, Dutta S, Raha S. Hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis-like cell death in Entamoebahistolytica. Parasitology International 2010 Jun; 59(2): 166-72. doi: 10.1016/j.parint.2010.01.001. Epub 2010 Jan 15.
11. Dutta S, Sardar A, Ray D, Raha S. Molecular and functional characterization of EhPAK3 a p21 activated kinase from Entamoebahistolytica. Gene 2007 Nov 1;402(1-2):57-67.
* Corresponding author.
- Recipient of Early Career Research Award from SERB, 2018
- Selected as DST-INSPIRE Faculty by Department of Science and Technology (DST), India, 2013
- Recipient of Postdoctoral Fellowship from Max Planck Society, 2010-2013
" Plant Molecular Biology Course " in the Integrated M.Sc. PhD Programme of Bose Institute.
1. Transport of micro and macro molecules
2. Plant stress signalling during pathogen (bacterial and fungal phytopathogens) invasion
|Subhasish Mukherjee||Senior Research Fellow||Division of Plant Biology||Centenary||25693348||s.mukherjee|
|Udita Acharya||Senior Research Fellow||Division of Plant Biology||Centenary||25693348||uditaacharya11|
Rahul Datta, JRF (Email: email@example.com)
Dibya Mukherjee, JRF (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Udita Acharya, JRF (Email: email@example.com)
Subhasish Mukherjee, JRF (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Aroni Mitra, JRF (Email: email@example.com)
Srimoyee Banerjee, CSIR-RA (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Opening for prospective PhD student
Students having interest in studies revealing the molecular mehanisms of interaction between phytopathogens and their respective host plants are welcome to contact the PI at email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates having sound knowledge and hands on experience in different Molecular Biology techniques will be given preference. Also it is desirous that the students are having Biochemistry/Microbiology and/or Biotechnology in their undergraduate studies.
- 30th Aug 2020: Our work in collaboration with Dr. Abhrajyoti Ghosh on the plant growth promoting properties of tea rhizosphere microbiome has been accepted for publication in Scientific Reports.
- 18th Aug 2020: Our work on the secreted T2 ribonucleases of U. maydis has been accepted for publication in Cellular Microbiology
- 12th - 17th March 2019: Dibya Mukherjee delivered a talk and presented a poster entitled " Virulence functions for two T2 type extracellular ribonucleases of Ustilago maydis" in the 30th Fungal genetics conference held at Asilomar conference grounds Pacific Grove , CA.
- 4th Feb 2019: Dibya Mukherjee received an approval of funding support for participation in the 30th Fungal genetics conference to be held at Asilomar conference grounds Pacific Grove , CA during 12th to 17th March 2019 from DBT CTEP program.
- 2nd Feb 2019: Dibya Mukherjee received an approval of funding support for participation in the 30th Fungal genetics conference to be held at Asilomar conference grounds Pacific Grove , CA during 12th to 17th March 2019 from "International Travel Support Scheme" of SERB .
- 9th - 12th Dec 2018: Rahul Datta presented a poster entitled " Extracellular Defense response of rice towards Rhizoctonia solani AG1IA infection" in the 59th Annual Conference of Association of Microbiologists in India and International Symposium on Host Pathogen Interaction held at University of hyderabad.
- 3rd Sep 2018: Anisha Roy joined the lab as DBT JRF.
- 6th Aug 2018: A protocol on "detection of apoptosis like cell death in Ustilago maydis by annexin V-FITC staining" is published online in Bioprotocol.
- 17th Mar 2018: ECRA grant from SERB is received by the PI.
- 11th Feb 2018: Best poster award to Dibya Mukherjee in the "10th Conference on Yeast Biology; Model Yeasts to Fungal pathogens" held at JNU, New Delhi and Amity University, Gurgaon during 08th to 11th February 2018.
- 21st Sep 2017: Our research on the metacaspase of Ustilago maydis has been accepted for publication in Molecular Microbiology.
- 19th Sep 2016: Subhasish Mukherjee joined the lab as UGC-JRF
- 4th Aug 2016: Udita Acharya joined the lab for her PhD
- 1st July 2016: PI joined the lab as Assistant Professor, Bose Institute
- 18th May 2015: Dibya Mukherjee joined the lab for his PhD
- 5th Jan 2015: Rahul Datta joined the lab for his PhD
- 10th Oct 2013: The group is started with the PI as DST INSPIRE Faculty