Assistant Professor, Environmental Science Section
PhD: UNIVERSITY OF CALCUTTA, 2009
Previous appointments:POST DOCTORAL FELLOW (MAY 2009 - SEPTEMBER 2010)
- CHEMISTRY OF ATMOSPHERIC AEROSOLS, TRACE GASES AND GREENHOUSE GASES
- AEROSOLS - CLOUD - RAIN INTERACTION
- BIOSPHERE - ATMOSPHERE EXCHANGE OF GREENHOUSE GASES
- HIMALAYAN CLIMATE CHANGE
Environmental Science Section
P-1/12 C.I.T. Scheme VII-M
Kolkata - 700054, India
We are engaged in carrying out field measurements of atmospheric aerosols at different aerodynamic diameter over different atmospheric environments in eastern India. Aerosols are chemically analyzed to find the major chemical composition and the major sources of aerosols. We investigate the factors that control the temporal variations over a long-term scale as well as short-term scale. We also study the role of aerosols in attenuating the incoming solar radiation through the measurement of Aerosol Optical Depth (AOD). Investigation is also made on the potential of aerosols to get activated to cloud condensation nuclei over different seasonal scales. In addition to the local emissions and sources, we also find out the contributions of the long-distant source regions and how they play role in the loading of aerosols over eastern Himalaya. We also study the role of various aerosol constituents on the acidity of precipitation over different regions in eastern India.
Other than the aerosols, several carbonaceous gaseous compounds like volatile organic compounds or VOCs, carbonyls, PAHs are also investigated. We have studied the relative role of the meteorology and the local emissions on the atmospheric abundance of these compounds.
We have been studying on the Greenhouse gases over eastern Himalaya. How they vary on the temporal scale and how the long-distant regions affect their abundance over this part of Himalaya. We are also studying the exchange of Greenhouse gases between the biosphere and the atmosphere over eastern Himalayan high altitude conifer forest. Our preliminary results have shown that the eastern Himalayan conifer forest acts as the large sink of the CO2.
We are engaged in the study on the source apportionment of carbonaceous aerosols over India as a part of a national network based project called NCAP (National Carbonaceous Aerosol Program) sponsored by MoEFCC, Govt of India. I am acting as the Principal Investigator of NCAP (Bose Institute) project.
As a Principal Investigator of a DST funded project, my group is also working on the relative role of the anthropogenic and biogenic aerosols on the cloud condensation nuclei activity over eastern Himalaya.
1. Biswas, H., A. Chatterjee, S. K. Mukhopadhya, T. K. De, S. Sen, and T. K. Jana. (2005). Estimation of ammonia exchange at the land–ocean boundary condition of Sundarban mangrove, northeast coast of Bay of Bengal, India. Atmospheric Environment, 39, 4489-4499.
2 . Chatterjee, A., C. Dutta, S. Sen, K. Ghosh, N. Biswas, D. Ganguly, and T. K. Jana. (2006). Formation, transformation, and removal of aerosol over a tropical mangrove forest. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 111, D24.
3 . Som, D., C. Dutta, A. Chatterjee, D. Mallick, T. K. Jana, and S. Sen. (2007). Studies on commuters' exposure to BTEX in passenger cars in Kolkata, India. Science of the Total Environment, 372, 426-432
4 . Dutta, C., D. Som, A. Chatterjee, A. K. Mukherjee, T. K. Jana, and S. Sen. (2009). Mixing ratios of carbonyls and BTEX in ambient air of Kolkata, India and their associated health risk. Environmental monitoring and assessment, 148, 97-107
5. Chatterjee, Abhijit, Achutan Jayaraman, T. Narayana Rao, and Sibaji Raha (2010). Incloud and below-cloud scavenging of aerosol ionic species over a tropical rural atmosphere in India. Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry, 66, 27-40
6. Chatterjee, Abhijit, Anandamay Adak, Ajay K. Singh, Manoj K. Srivastava, Sanjay K. Ghosh, Suresh Tiwari, Panuganti CS Devara, and Sibaji Raha. (2010). Aerosol chemistry over a high altitude station at northeastern Himalayas, India. PLoS-One, 5, e11122
7 . Dutta, C., A. Chatterjee, T. K. Jana, A. K. Mukherjee, and S. Sen. (2010). Contribution from the primary and secondary sources to the atmospheric formaldehyde in Kolkata, India. Science of the total environment, 408, 4744-4748
8 . Chatterjee, A., C. Dutta, T. K. Jana, and S. Sen. (2011). Fine mode aerosol chemistry over a tropical urban atmosphere: characterization of ionic and carbonaceous species. Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry, 69, 83-100
9 . Chatterjee, Abhijit, Sanjay K. Ghosh, Anandamay Adak, Ajay K. Singh, Panuganti CS Devara, and Sibaji Raha. (2012). Effect of dust and anthropogenic aerosols on columnar aerosol optical properties over Darjeeling (2200 m asl), eastern Himalayas, India. PLoS-One, 7, e40286
10 . Chatterjee, A., Sarkar, C., Adak, A., Mukherjee, U., Ghosh, S. K., & Raha, S. (2013). Ambient air quality during Diwali festival over Kolkata–a mega-city in India. Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 13, 1133-1144
11 . Ganesan, A. L., Chatterjee, A., Prinn, R. G., Harth, C. M., Salameh, P. K., Manning, A. J., ... & O'Doherty, S. (2013). The variability of methane, nitrous oxide and sulfur hexafluoride in Northeast India. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 13, 1063310644
12. Sarkar, C., Chatterjee, A., Majumdar, D., Ghosh, S. K., Srivastava, A., & Raha, S. (2014). Volatile organic compounds over Eastern Himalaya, India: temporal variation and source characterization using Positive Matrix Factorization. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussions, 14(23), 32133-32175.
13. Adak, A., Chatterjee, A., Singh, A. K., Sarkar, C., Ghosh, S., & Raha, S. (2014). Atmospheric Fine Mode Particulates at Eastern Himalaya, India: Role of Meteorology, Long-Range Transport and Local Anthropogenic Sources. Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 14(1), 440-450.
14. Sarkar, C., Chatterjee, A., Singh, A. K., Ghosh, S. K., & Raha, S. (2015). Characterization of Black Carbon Aerosols over Darjeeling-A High Altitude Himalayan Station in Eastern India. Aerosol Air Qual. Res, 15, 465-478.
15. Das, S. K., Chatterjee, A., Ghosh, S. K., & Raha, S. (2015). Fog-induced changes in optical and physical properties of transported aerosols over Sundarban, India. Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 15(4), 1201.
16. Das, S. K., Chatterjee, A., Ghosh, S. K., & Raha, S. (2015). An integrated campaign for investigation of winter-time continental haze over Indo-Gangetic Basin and its radiative effects. Science of the Total Environment, 533, 370-382.
17. Sen, A., Ahammed, Y. N., Banerjee, T., Chatterjee, A., Choudhuri, A. K., Das, T., ... & Mandal, T. K. (2016). Spatial variability in ambient atmospheric fine and coarse mode aerosols over Indo-Gangetic plains, India and adjoining oceans during the onset of summer monsoons, 2014. Atmospheric Pollution Research, 7(3), 521-532.
18. Sharma, S. K., Mandal, T. K., Srivastava, M. K., Chatterjee, A., Jain, S., Saxena, M., ... & Ghosh, S. K. (2016). Spatio-temporal variation in chemical characteristics of PM10 over Indo Gangetic Plain of India. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23(18), 18809-18822.
19. Tyagi, S., Tiwari, S., Mishra, A., Chatterjee, A., & Bisht, D. S. (2016). Chemical Characteristics of Precipitation during Winter Season over Delhi: Source Identification of Measured Species. Earth Science India, 9.
20. Roy, A., Chatterjee, A., Tiwari, S., Sarkar, C., Das, S. K., Ghosh, S. K., & Raha, S. (2016). Precipitation chemistry over urban, rural and high altitude Himalayan stations in eastern India. Atmospheric Research, 181, 44-53
21. Sen, A., Abdelmaksoud, A. S., Ahammed, Y. N., Banerjee, T., Bhat, M. A., Chatterjee, A., ... & Gadi, R. (2017). Variations in particulate matter over Indo-Gangetic Plains and Indo-Himalayan Range during four field campaigns in winter monsoon and summer monsoon: Role of pollution pathways. Atmospheric Environment, 154, 200-224.
22. Roy, A., Chatterjee, A., Sarkar, C., Das, S. K., Ghosh, S. K., & Raha, S. (2017). A study on aerosol-cloud condensation nuclei (CCN) activation over eastern Himalaya in India. Atmospheric Research, 189, 69-81.
23. Sarkar, C., Chatterjee, A., Majumdar, D., Roy, A., Srivastava, A., Ghosh, S. K., & Raha, S. (2017). How the Atmosphere over Eastern Himalaya, India is Polluted with Carbonyl Compounds? Temporal Variability and Identification of Sources. Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 17(9), 2206-2223.23.
24. Ganesan, A. L., Rigby, M., Lunt, M. F., Parker, R. J., Boesch, H., Goulding, N., Umezawa, T., Zahn, A., Chatterjee, A., Prinn, R. G., Tiwari, Y. K., Schoot, M., Krummel, P (2017). Atmospheric observations show accurate reporting and little growth in India’s methane emissions. Nature Communications, 8(1), 836.
25. Ray, D., Chatterjee, A., Majumdar, D., Ghosh, S. K., & Raha, S. (2017). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons over a tropical urban and a high altitude Himalayan Station in India: Temporal variation and source apportionment. Atmospheric Research, 197, 331-341.
26. Ray, D., Bhattacharya, T. S., Chatterjee, A., Singha, A., Ghosh, S. K., & Raha, S. (2018). Hygroscopic Coating of Sulfuric Acid Shields Oxidant Attack on the Atmospheric Pollutant Benzo (a) pyrene Bound to Model Soot Particles. Scientific reports, 8(1), 129.
27. Abhinandan Ghosh, Arindam Roy, Abhijit Chatterjee, Sanat K Das, Sanjay K Ghosh and Sibaji Raha. Impact of Transported Biomass Burning Plumes on the Size Segregated Aerosol Chemistry: A Case Study over a Tropical Urban Atmosphere in Eastern India. Aerosol and Air Quality Research, DOI: 10.4209/aaqr.2017.12.0590 (In press)
28. Abhijit Chatterjee, Arindam Roy, Supriyo Chakraborty, Chirantan Sarkar, Soumendra Singh, Anand K Karipot, Sanjay K Ghosh, Amitabha Mitra, and Sibaji Raha. Biosphere Atmosphere Exchange of CO2, H2O Vapour and Energy during Spring over a High Altitude Himalayan Forest at Eastern India. Aerosol and Air Quality Research, (In press)View More
|Arindam Roy||SRF||Environmental Science Section||Centenary||25693326||arindamroy|
|Monami Dutta||JRF||Environmental Science Section||Centenaryemail@example.com|
Dr Chirantan Sarkar - Ph.D student (2010-2016) - Ph.D. degree awarded in the year of 2016. He worked as a Research Associate during 2016-2017. Currently he is a Post-Doc Fellow in IIT, Bombay.
1) Mr Arindam Roy (Since 2013): He is working as a SRF on the aerosol-CCN activation and the aerosol-precipitation interaction over eastern Himalaya. He is going to submit his thesis in this year (2018).
2) Mr Abhinandan Ghsoh (Since 2015): He is working as a SRF on the size segregated aerosol chemistry over eastern Himalayan high altitude and tropical urban stations in eastern India.
3) Miss Monami Dutta (Since June 2018): She is working on the relative role of anthropogenic and biogenic aerosols on aerosol-CCN activation over Himalaya.
1) With MIT, USA and University of Bristol (UK): We have been studying Greenhouse Gases over eastern Himalaya. Monitoring and measurement are stopped at present because of technical issues. (Faculties: Prof Ronald Prinn and Dr Anita Ganesan)
2) With Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) of MoES, Govt of India (Pune): We are working on the investigation of the secondary sources of moisture over eastern Himalaya in India. (Scientist under collaboration: Dr Supriyo Chakraborty)
3) With National Physical Laboratory (NPL), New Delhi (under CSIR, Govt of India): We are working on the aerosols characteristics across the Indo-Gangetic Region. (Scientists under collaboration: Dr Tuhin Kumar Mandal and Dr Sudhir Sharma)
4) With Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad, India (under DoS, Govt of India): We are working on the water soluble organic carbon and brown carbon components of atmospheric aerosols. (Scientist under collaboration: Dr Neeraj Rastogi)
5) With National Atmospheric Research Laboratory (NARL), Gadanki, India (under DoS, Govt of India): We are working on the spatial variation of the precipitation chemistry (Scientist under collaboration: Dr Chaithanya D Jain)
6) With IIT, Bombay: We are working on sources of carbonaceous aerosols under national network project NCAP (Prof Chandra Venkataraman).
Current group members of Bose Institute
Prof Sibaji Raha, Prof Sanjay Ghosh, Dr Sanat Kumar Das, Dr Debajyoti Ray, Mr Soumendra Singh